Voice of Reason: Recovery High Schools
The Voice of Reason Blog focuses on hot button issues with a reasoned approach not driven by ideology of either the left or right.
Students diagnosed with substance use disorder need a safe, supportive environment to get an education and stay sober. That’s what recovery schools provide. If these students stay in the same school environment without peer support to stay sober and a recovery program, in addition to education, they most likely will drop out and wind up in prison.
On Wednesday, June 12, the Raymond J. Lesniak Experience • Strength • Hope Recovery High School in Roselle will be celebrating its 4th graduation.
Every one of our graduates has gone on to higher education. Our first graduate is entering her senior year in the fall at Rutgers University, my alma mater. We will also be celebrating a $100,000 donation from Walmart to support the three recovery high schools in New Jersey – Union, Monmouth and Cape May Counties.
The Voice of Reason says every county should have a recovery high school. Drug and alcohol addiction is at an all-time high with our youth. Recovery high schools give them an opportunity to stay sober, get an education, and enjoy what life has to offer.
Please contact Governor Murphy and ask him to support the expansion of recovery high schools to at least one in every county. Here’s how to do it: VISIT THE LINK.
- Giving Tuesday: 5 Ways to Give Back
- Cost of Care Legislation: An Opportunity to Right a Wrong and Save the Animals
- Indigenous People’s Day: 5 Advocates You Should Know About
- Hispanic Heritage Month: Celebrating Three Inspiring Change Makers
- Mental Health Courts: the Need to Reevaluate it in Our Criminal Justice System
- State Senator or Congressional Senator… What is the difference and why should you care?
- The Freedom Summer Proves Knowledge is Our Greatest Weapon